Did you check out our previous post about how we got started on this wall removal and the HVAC issues we ran into? If not, you can check out that post here.
After months of scoping out HVAC contractors, and working out the details on the job, we narrowed it down to two contractors. We finally had two quotes and had to decide between the two. Here was the situation:
Contractor 1 – Lower price. Skeezy, not so knowledgeable salesman. National franchise. Daikin HVAC system. 12 year parts and labor warranty. Pneumatic Arzel dampers. Could do the job soon.
Contractor 2 – Higher price. Very knowledgeable and friendly salesman. Small company. Trane HVAC system. 10 years parts and labor warranty. Electric Honeywell dampers. Could do the job soon.
See the issues? Decisions, decisions. As engineers, we care deeply about getting the technical details down before we make a decision, and if your company doesn’t have a knowledgeable salesperson employed, than we’re either not going to go with you, or we’re going to ask you to bring in the engineer/owner/designer of your company so we can ensure that we get good details about the quote. With contractor 1, after the first meeting, we pretty much told them that the owner needed to be there at our meetings to answer our questions, because we couldn’t handle the sales guy. The sales guy knew about their HVAC systems, but didn’t know anything about re-routing duct-work, and that’s what we contacted them about in the first place. With contractor 2, we did most of our decision making with the sales guy and only brought in the owner when we needed to nail down some very specific details.